Business Strategies, business taxes, Family Tax Issues, General Information, RUNNING YOUR BUSINESS, Self Employed, TAX DEBT RELIEF, Tax Reduction, TAXES


Author: Trudy M. Howard

In our Chicago South Loop Tax preparation office, everyone enjoys a BBQ, and a good party. While we enjoy having a good time, we LOVE saving clients money through effective tax planning. Below are a few tips on how you can reduce your taxable income with your 4th of July party.

INVITE ALL STAFF & FEW FRIENDS: Invite your ENTIRE STAFF to the 4th of July BBQ to get a tax deduction. NON EMPLOYEES WILL NOT give you a tax deduction. For example, if you invite 15 employees & their family to a 4th of July picnic, and you invite 5 of your friends & family members you have a total of 20 guest.If your party cost $2,500 you can write off 3/4 or 75% (20 guest total, 1/4 friends 5/20) of the expense at 100%. $2,500 x .75= $1,875 tax deduction.

Per IRS PUBLICATION 15-B: “Food or beverage expenses related to employee recreation, such as holiday parties or annual picnics, aren’t subject to the 50% limit on deductions when made primarily for the benefit of your employees other than employees who are officers, shareholders or other owners who own a 10% or greater interest in your business, or other highly compensated employees.”

Schedule-button-nb INVITE POTENTIAL BUSINESS PROSPECTS: 1/2 of something is better than 0 of something. You can deduct 50% of the FOOD COST ONLY if you invite current or potential business customer, client, consultant, or similar business contact. Your food cost must be on SEPARATE RECEIPT to be tax deductible. You cannot deduct the cost of the fireworks display, chairs, DJ, etc.

Per IRS PUBLICATION 463: “As discussed above, entertainment expenses are generally nondeductible. However, you may continue to deduct 50% of the cost of business meals if you (or an employee) is present and the food or beverages are not considered lavish or extravagant. The meals may be provided to a current or potential business customer, client, consultant, or similar business contact.

Food and beverages that are provided during entertainment events are not considered entertainment if purchased separately from the entertainment, or if the cost of the food and beverages is stated separately from the cost of the entertainment on one or more bills, invoices, or receipts.”

Although we’ve given you the basics, this is not an all-inclusive article. Should you have tax debt help questions, need Chicago business tax preparation, business entity creation, business insurance, or business compliance assistance please contact us online, or call our office toll free at 1-855-743-5765 or locally in Chicago or Indiana at 1-708-529-6604. Make sure to join our newsletter for more tips on reducing taxes, and increasing your wealth.


Never miss another tip again! Join our newsletter, to receive tax reduction/wealth building tips delivered right to your inbox!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s